Monday, November 5, 2007

I think I might be at risk. Can I be tested for osteoporosis?

You cannot see or feel your bones getting thinner. Many people are unaware of any problems until they break a bone or start to lose height.

If you think you are at risk then discuss it further with your GP. You may need a special scan which measures bone density, called a dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan. It is a simple, painless procedure and is recommended for those people considered at high risk of breaking a bone because of osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis diagnosed on a bone density scan does not always mean you have a high risk of breaking a bone at the time of the scan so a drug treatment is not always necessary or appropriate. Other factors, such as your age, will need to be taken into account.

If you have broken a bone because of osteoporosis there are a range of drug treatments. These will help to reduce your risk of breaking another bone. The way you live your life can also help.

No comments: